About Thales e-Security
Thales e-Security is a leading global provider of data protection solutions with more than 40 years experience securing the world’s most sensitive information. Our customers—businesses, governments, and technology vendors with a broad range of challenges—use Thales products and services to improve the security of applications that rely on encryption and digital signatures. By protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of sensitive information that flows through today’s traditional, virtualized, and cloud-based infrastructures, Thales is helping organizations reduce risk, demonstrate compliance, enhance agility, and pursue strategic goals with greater confidence.
Serious challenges, secure & efficient solutions
Today’s information systems are more globally integrated than ever before—and attacks are increasingly sophisticated. Organizations with traditionally stringent data protection requirements now demand a broader range of high assurance solutions to safeguard complex business processes and applications. At the same time, others with formerly less demanding data protection needs confronting higher levels of automation and interactivity—and growing data protection challenges. In response, they are adopting techniques such as encryption and digital signing—or shifting from software-based encryption and digital signing to high assurance hardware-based solutions. To address the needs of organizations along the entire spectrum, Thales delivers innovative data protection products and services based on the most advanced technology and security best practices. Our solutions not only deliver high levels of assurance, backed by independent certifications, but also offer significant advantages over competing solutions in ease of deployment and ongoing management. Organizations that use Thales products to safeguard data at rest, in motion, and in use gain effective protection while maximizing operational efficiency, business continuity, and long-term scalability.
Five core data protection principles that guide our business and drive our solution innovation
- Data protection must be both secure and efficient. Great data protection solutions are designed with the practical needs of today’s dynamic organizations in mind. Processes must require minimal human intervention, have minimal impact on performance or data availability, and adapt easily as business processes change and scale over time. Products from Thales deliver both high assurance and operational efficiency to increase your organization’s agility and minimize cost of ownership. With Thales, organizations no longer must choose between, a) simple, straightforward security that does not deliver sufficient protection, and b) security solutions that offer high levels of protection but are complex and cumbersome, leading to higher TCO. With Thales, there’s no need to compromise—you can have both security and efficiency.
- Data protection is all about the data. Organizations manage many different kinds of data on a daily basis—some of it highly sensitive, some not sensitive at all. An organization’s most sensitive data requires increasingly stringent protection from loss and from outsider and insider attacks. With today’s highly integrated systems, organizations that want to protect sensitive data must know where it is stored, how and where it moves, and which applications use it—then design a protection strategy that follows the data. Thales provides a comprehensive array of data protection solutions that can meet your needs for protecting data at rest, in motion, and in use.
- Cryptography protects data effectively only if keys are secure and well managed. Your house is secure if you control the keys, and your information systems are no different. From low-volume, infrequently used applications to high-volume, on-demand applications, cryptographic keys are a critical component of an organization’s ability to protect data from malicious attack while ensuring ensure that the data is ready for use when needed. Stolen keys can lead to data theft, key loss can lead to completely unusable data, and inefficient key management can degrade application performance. With unparalleled expertise in cryptographic key management, Thales provides solutions that manage keys efficiently and effectively to improve security, performance, and business continuity.
- Today both logical and physical controls are needed to protect the most sensitive information. Cryptographic processes implemented in software are only as secure as the access to that software or the system on which it resides. With the rise of insider attacks and innovative malware, including Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs), organizations can no longer rely on locked doors or software-based cryptography alone. Tamper-resistant hardware in diverse forms adds a critical layer of protection for sensitive applications and information, limiting access and reducing opportunity for insider attacks. In addition, executing highly sensitive code within tamper-resistant hardware protects applications against malicious manipulation.
- The best data protection strategies minimize compliance cost and complexity. Today many organizations are required to comply with government regulations or industry mandates related to privacy and data protection—including disclosing data breaches when they occur. Ideally, compliance should be a straightforward byproduct of implementing an effective data protection solution, and compliance processes should add minimal overhead to an organization’s data protection efforts. Our expertise in compliance regulations around the world enables us to design solutions that reduce the scope and cost of your compliance efforts while protecting the information on which the organization and its auditors rely.
Don’t take our word for it
For more than 40 years, Thales e-Security has helped organizations around the world safeguard their sensitive and high-value data. Our products are:
- Independently certified. We want to be sure our products meet the highest standards. To that end, we seek independent certification that each new offering meets FIPS and Common Criteria standards—and have gained that certification time and time again. (See individual products for certification details.)
- Proven. Thales products are used daily by thousands of customers and have been proven over decades in some of the most demanding settings including banks, defense operations, and high-tech manufacturing centers.
- Leaders in their markets. For example, today our hardware security modules (HSMs) help secure an estimated 80% of the world’s payment transactions.
- Backed by experts. With hundreds of deployments under our belt, the Thales Advanced Solutions Group (ASG) provides advice, training, and deployment assistance that will enable your organization to maximize your return on investment in data protection solutions.
We can help
You'll find Thales delivering mission-critical data protection in every industry and sector. Thales customers are:
- Businesses in diverse sectors including energy, retail, financial services, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and others.
- Government organizations including national defense and military operations, federal government agencies, state and local law enforcement, and government contractors who must comply with government data protection standards.
- Technology providers including business and security software vendors, systems and network infrastructure manufacturers, cloud providers, and companies offering a broad range of online services.
Our many long-standing customer relationships are a result of Thales’ proven ability to deliver effective and efficient data protection solutions. Thales products currently protect data for:
- 21 NATO member countries
- 19 of the 20 largest banks in the world
- 3,000 financial institutions worldwide
- 4 out of 5 top energy companies
- 4 out of 5 aerospace companies
Through our extensive partner program, Thales works to ensure that our solutions deliver maximum value to customers—and that as many customers as possible can take advantage of them.
- We pre-test our products with business applications, security applications, and infrastructure components from a range of vendors in an effort to ensure that our products will interoperate smoothly with products from leading vendors and that customers will be able to deploy Thales solutions quickly and efficiently in their environments.
- We work closely with technology partners, blending our specialized expertise to create and market innovative joint solutions that address the continually evolving requirements of our mutual customers.
- Building relationships with channel partners around the world, we broaden the range of customers who can take advantage of our solutions to overcome their data protection challenges.
Advancing data protection standards
As experts in a range of data protection challenges and solutions, Thales collaborates with other organizations to drive the evolution of effective and practical data protection standards that facilitate secure operation of today’s highly integrated business processes. Learn more about Thales’ work with industry associations and standards.
Where we come from
Thales e-Security traces its lineage to two successful companies that built on their blended capabilities to create a market-leading data protection firm. In 2000, Thomson CSF Group acquired Racal Electronics, including its wholly owned subsidiary, Racal Security and Payments. Pre-eminent in secure payment, electronic commerce, card payment, secure remote access and enterprise network security for more than two decades, Racal Security and Payments had manufactured a comprehensive range of world-leading point of sale terminals and management systems as well as secure payment systems and network encryption solutions. When Thomson CSF Group became Thales Group, the former Racal Security and Payments, briefly named Zaxus, became Thales e-Security. In 2008 Thales acquired nCipher PLC. Founded in 1996, the company was a leading supplier of encryption products and had also begun to deliver solutions in key management and cryptographic hardware. The acquisition of nCipher enabled Thales e-Security to broaden its encryption products portfolio, expand its professional services offerings, and create a wider distribution base. Today, Thales e-Security continues to innovate and expand its product and service portfolio to address a wide range of data protection challenges for customers and partners.
About Thales Group
Thales e-Security is part of the Security arm of Thales Group, a global technology leader for the defense & security and the aerospace & transport markets. In 2011 Thales generated revenues of €13 billion with 67,000 employees in 56 countries. With its 22,500 engineers and researchers, Thales has a unique capability to design, develop and deploy equipment, systems, and services that meet the most complex security requirements. Thales has an exceptional international footprint, with operations around the world working with customers and local partners. www.thalesgroup.com